Mushroom biriyani is one of my favorite lunch meal since my marriage. This mushroom biriyani is a simple yet delicious recipe for many biriyani lovers to try out. Mushroom being one of the easiest vegetable to chop it has always been my go to option when I crave for biriyani. Since, mushrooms are a highly low-carb ,very rich in riboflavin and no-fat vegetable , it does not add any extra calories with rice. Now let’s jump into the recipe without further delay.
Ingredients (for 4)
- 2 cups of chopped white mushrooms
- 1.5 cups of basmati/seeraga samba rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tsp of ball pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. of white poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp. of ginger-garlic paste
- 4-5 slit green chilies (can increase/decrease based on spice level)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of chili powder (optional)
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 6-7 cut cashews
- 10 – 12 raisins
- 1 slice of bread (chopped into square pieces)
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- In a frying pan pour 3 tbsp. of oil. Once the oil heats up add cinnamon stick(break into 2-3 pieces),bay leaves, star anise.
- Add sliced onions ,green chilies and fry for a couple of minutes. When the onions are half done ,add ginger garlic paste and fry well until the raw smell of the paste goes away.
- Once the raw smell of the paste goes away, add poppy seeds, pepper and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add mushrooms and fry it for a couple of mins.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder , garam masala and salt.
- Once salt is added, mushroom releases water and leave the mix to cook for 3 – 4 mins.
- Add mint leaves and fry for a minute or so.
Getting the consistency of rice right
- Soak basmati rice / seeraga samba rice in water for 10-15 mins.
- After 15 minutes, wash the rice well and and add the rice in pressure cooker with equal quantity of water; i.e. 1 cup of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Add the mushroom mix that we prepared earlier into the cooker as well
- Add one tsp. of ghee(clarified butter). This makes sure that the biryani is not burnt.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and wait for 1-2 whistles and turn off the gas.
- Once the pressure completely releases, leave the lid open for few minutes.(note: do not stir the biryani immediately)
Note: If cooking in Instapot ,leave the biryani in rice setting and reduce the time to 9 minutes. Please be informed that the flavors of biryani come out quite well when cooked in pressure cooker rather than an instant-pot .
- In a small frying pan, add 2-3 tbsp. of ghee(clarified butter)
- Fry the cashews and raisins until they turn golden brown.
- Now add the bread slices and fry them until they turn brown.
Add the garnishing over the biryani and gently stir the biryani. Please do not over stir and make the biryani mushy.
Serve the delicious mushroom biryani with a cucumber or onion raita. Hope you all like it!