Thepla is a type of Indian flatbread made out of wheat flour and besan (chickpea flour). It is a highly flavorful recipe with lots of herbs and spices. Thepla is mainly consumed in the northern part of India and in particular the Jain community as a evening snack or breakfast. With lots of stuffed vegetables, this recipe is a healthy option for a lunch/dinner meal . Let us now jump into the recipe.
- 1.5 cups Atta (wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup besan (Chick pea flour)
- 3- 4 tbsp. yogurt
- 1 tbsp. dried/fresh methi (fenugreek)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder (1/2 tsp if you do not prefer spicy thepla)
- 1/2 tsp. ajwain
- Oil as required
- Finely chopped vegetable – onion, beans, carrot, potato, peas
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
Getting the dough ready
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, chickpeas flour, fenugreek, turmeric powder chili powder, yogurt, salt and mix them well with a spatula/spoon.
- Add water little by little and knead it well until it becomes a smooth dough as the picture below.
Getting the stuffed vegetables ready
- In a frying pan, add chopped beans, carrot, potato and peas.
- Add turmeric, red chili , coriander and salt and let them cook.( Note: Do not add more oil or water to the stuffing , to avoid the thepla getting soggy). The stuffing should be dry as in below pic.
Making stuffed thepla
- Place a transparent food wrap on the counter or on top of the roti rolling board.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Place the ball on the rolling board, and gently tap the dough into a small circle. Make sure to wet your fingers with a little oil so the dough is not sticky.
- Now, place the stuffing and roll the dough again and gently tap the dough until it gets to the desired size; cook them in a pan with closed lid. (Note: Adding more ghee/oil on the thepla helps to keep them soft)
- Once cooked, serve thepla hot with a boondhi raita and cranberry pickle (Serve with any raita and pickle of your choice)
The recipe tastes delicious when served hot. You can try by stuffing the thepla with just paneer so the kids might love it. Hope you all enjoy this recipe